June 20, 2009

True Meaning of a Hunt Thanksgiving!

It was the night before Thanksgiving and all through the house was the smell of cooked turkey, ham and marshmallow yams.
Then as we sat at the dining table with food galore, we each recited those things we were thankful for – and more!
When it was my turn, I spouted a few things quite obvious – and then listened to the others with similar strains.
Then later that night as I prayed to my Heavenly Father in the dark and silence of the beautiful night, I realized I had failed to thank him for so much more!
Then humbled and contrite, I began to recite to my Almighty Father all those things that have meant so much to me from my beginning.
First off, I thanked my Father in Heaven for the chance to be and to face all the challenges that haven’t been so keen. It’s not bad that we have challenges, it’s how we handle them – and thanks to so many, I’m still here today.
My mother, Lorraine, and my father, Warren, struggled all my childhood to keep us fed and happy. My mother made the best meals – from very simple ingredients – but some of my favorites were her chili and homemade pizza and cinnamon rolls. She was the one who helped me with my reading and kept up on me to do my homework. She was always there when I was sick – and as a child I seemed always to be sick. That is, until I got my tonsils out.
She was the strongest in the gospel and always pushed us as a family to go to church. My years with the family clear up until I went on my mission was spent around church activities – singing, ward plays, Scouts, basketball, softball, camping, Father and Sons campouts, home teaching, priesthood assignments, picking tomato worms off the church farm plants, cleaning bricks off the Harmon Ward building as it was being built and the chapel wall fell, picking corn on the stake farm, thinning the sugar beets, planting the tomatoes, weeding the tomatoes, picking the tomatoes. I remember that after the harvest for the church, families were allowed to glean from the fields all the tomatoes they could bottle. We did bushels and bushels of tomatoes, tomato juice, stew, ketchup and pizza sauce.
I remember as a young boy going camping with my family. We had a special campsite above Brighton. We camped there every year until the chairlift was put right in our campground. There was a stream down just a little north of the campsite, a hillside to the east with granite boulders.
One year we trapped a porcupine in a small cave between boulders. Merrill tried to hit it with a branch from above. We knew better than to get too close or get behind it. I don’t think we hurt it too much, but I’m surprised now that we didn’t get hit by quills.
It might have been the same trip, but Merrill went flying down the trail to the creek and went flying. He hit his head on a rock. I think he was saying as he was running down the trail “Superman,” or maybe it was after he landed. He wasn’t hurt until I pointed out all the blood pouring down his forehead. Dad had to rush him down the mountain to get stitches.
Dad says it was the same trip when he was trying to build up a fire with a can of gasoline, which we all know is a no-no. But Dad was smarter than the can of gas – at least he thought so. However, the flames from the small campfire just raced up the can and caught his shirt sleeve on fire. I still remember his sleeve on fire. I can’t remember how he put it out but he kept waving it like it would help. Mom had to take him down to the hospital and get it cleaned and bandaged. Quite the trip!
On one of those other trips we had most of the Butt family with us, including Grandma and Grandpa, David, Clifford, Vivian and his bride, Doris. I think I fell in love with her then – she was the best. Vivian was so lucky. The adults set up a card table and played cards. I got to play sometimes because Grandpa had taught me how to play. We also played softball, but it wasn’t as fun as playing cards with the adults.
Dave never got married until after his mission to the Great Lakes and then after his accident at ZCMI. I remember when it happened. He said he stepped into an elevator that had a burned-out lightbulb. But this time it opened and there wasn’t an elevator. He fell down the shaft somewhere between 20 and 30 feet, I think. He broke a lot of bones. While he was in traction in the hospital, he met Elaine. After he got out of the hospital, he stayed with us and we took care of him for weeks. I think for the first while he still was bedridden. Then he got mobile and started dating Elaine. They eventually got married. She has always been such a sweetie!
Dave has had a lot of problems with his one leg all his life since the accident – but he has kept on going through two replacements. I’ve always admired him for his strength and faith.
I remember one priesthood adviser, especially. Bro. Ralph Cloward. He lived across the street from us. He was so humble. I wasn’t so impressed with him then, but looking back, I realized how he loved us and did his job and worked with us snotty boys. He helped me do my job.
I remember Bishop Leanard Harmon. I loved listening to him speak.
I remember Pres. Wallace Bawden – and especially one priesthood session when he talked to us men about welfare assignments. He said there are three types of people, (1) those who say they will do an assignment and do it; (2) those who say they will do an assignment and don’t do it; (3) and those who say they won’t do an assignment and then do it. Which causes the most problems for the church? How does that apply to us in life?
My father was always by our sides in all the church activities – and there were a lot of church socials. We loved to make homemade ice cream. Dad taught Merrill and me, first and foremost, how to work. It seemed that if we were with Dad, we were working, unless it was a church campout or family campout. I remember a couple of times when Dad was younger him playing basketball with us. He probably played more with Merrill when I was too young. I remember him hitting us the softball in our big backyard and we practiced catching the flies.
When it came to the work, it was always – “get your butt behind you.” I think he meant we weren’t doing it right or we weren’t really getting into the job. Do it 100% and we’ll get done sooner, I think was the message. “If we all work together, we’ll get done sooner.” We seemed to spend almost every Friday night and Saturday at the old apartments at 5th North and 5th West (about there). Just on the west side of the main railroad tracks. They were rental apartments and were constantly in need of new painting or wallpapering, or roofing, or linoleum, carpeting, flooring, plumbing (above and below), electrical work.
I still say Merrill learned a lot of his construction skills from those days, but maybe he learned how not to do things. I learned what I used later in my marriage to build things and repair things in our homes in Kearns and then in West Jordan. Dad was a drill sergeant when it came to work. But I remember the ritual – we would almost always stop at the Dee’s Drive-In on North Temple and stop for a hamburger, fries and a root beer float. I usually got a foot-long hot dog.
I’m thankful that Dad and Mom allowed Merrill and me the freedom to explore and do things for ourselves. Dad built a chicken coop in the northeast corner of our back yard. After the “experiment” and a lot of frozen chicken meat, we turned it into a clubhouse.
Troyleen was really upset when Dad killed the rabbits – they were another experiment. They tasted a lot like chicken meat, but Mom and Troy didn’t like eating them. They flopped all over the yard after the Dad took the hunting knife to them.
Anyway, we kept fixing up the clubhouse, put leftover sheetrock on the inside and even put an old window in where the screen window had been. I put in a secret back door, too. I put in a hanging flower box below the window. But we had a dirt floor for a long time. I remember Dad and Mom allowing us to collect newspapers for weeks and weeks one summer. We finally filled the clubhouse with newspapers, then loaded them up and took them to recycling. We got enough money to put in a concrete floor (not cement floor. Merrill taught me the difference).
Dad was there to take the load, help us do the concrete floor and then took all us boys, Merrill, me, Gene Openshaw, Bruce Sharp and I think Dennis Paxton to a drive-in movie – I believe it was a Tarzan movie.
Blame my Dad for teaching me how to work long hours for my family – that’s what he did – whether he was at work at HAFB or doing new projects at home – like always remodeling our house, making it bigger and nicer for Mom, or putting in a “bomb shelter” food storage cellar mound behind the garage. We had to dig a hole (us boys thought that was kind of fun at first for the first few feet. Then it got to be real work, because Dad would come out and tell us, “No, it’s got to be a lot deeper. I don’t think we ever got it as deep as Dad wanted. We got it down about five feet below ground level – or as low as we could go because of the water level at the time in Granger. Then Dad rounded up (I don’t think he very often bought building material (all the wood for the chicken coop was garbage from Hill Air Force Base) some railroad ties and we stacked them up around the edges of the hole another three ties high. I think we used long stacks to “secure” them together. Then we covered the whole thing with more railroad ties. I’m not sure if we put plastic or roof covering on the ties. We covered the whole thing with all the dirt from the hole and then got more from the garden area and mounded it. Then Dad planted grass. After a few months, we actually had to mow on top of it. Oh, we also put in a vent so we would have air. If we would have had a N-bomb, we would have been goners!!! But it was a great root cellar, food storage cellar. But I hated going in there because the black widows loved it, too. There seemed to always be a black widow in the corner right next to the door. Oh, we also had to take out a section of concrete in the garage and made stairs down to the garage foundation, which we had to drill out, too. We put in a door with a lock. I think Merrill had to do most of the drilling work.
Dad set a great example for us boys in church activity at that time. I remember how much I enjoyed listening to Dad give a talk because it was always so informative and entertaining. I didn’t fall asleep like I did listening to so many others. I wanted to give talks like him. Many people say I ended up being a very informative and entertaining church speaker. I loved reading the Book of Mormon. I think it was when I was in ninth grade and in seminary. I read the Book of Mormon and loved the stories and I loved the spirit I felt as I read it. Dad loved the scriptures, too, when he had to do a lesson or give a talk. He would sit in the house office and have about six books opened up and getting details and quotes from so many different sources.
Anyway, during that time of reading the Book of Mormon for the first time (I’ve read it several times), I had such a strong spiritual witness that it was all true and that the church is true, Joseph Smith was a true prophet that God was behind all the work. I have always believed that since – but I haven’t always lived it as I should. I have had bouts of “depression” over life’s trials. I am truly thankful for that testimony, which has served as the iron rod in my life – though at times I have wandered into forbidden paths.
I am thankful for my ancestors who embraced the gospel and went through so many great trials, especially those who gave their lives in Nauvoo and coming across the Plains to Zion.
I am thankful for my Grandmother Butt, who always let me come up and stay with them in Copperton on the weekends. Blame her for my first taste of Pepsi. She loved the stuff – and for making sure there is butter over all the slice of bread, including the four corners. Most of all, I am grateful for her sense of adventure. Several times I traveled with her alone or with Merrill to California to visit Vivian and David. I loved those times. When I got a little older, they let me play basketball with them. Those were precious times for me. I always looked up to my uncles – for their basketball skills and their smarts. It was they who got me interested in space, the universe and Einstein and E=Mc2.
I read about Einstein when I was young – and then Varner Von Braen, the German rocket scientist who was the father of U.S. rocket science. I remember talking some really deep science stuff with Vivian and Dave, who were in engineering courses at the time. It opened my mind to the possibilities.
Grandmother Butt also drove Merrill and me all the way back to Harrisburg, Pa., when Dad was stationed at an Air Force base back there that was closing down. Merrill drove part of the way. I was going into my junior year. It was the next day after Merrill’s graduation. It was not a good time for Merrill. If he had stayed, he probably would have ended up playing basketball at one of the junior colleges. But that was a different life path.
I am grateful for a glorious adventure we had back east that summer. We visited all the historical sites, Mt. Vernon, Philadelphia, Niagara Falls, New York, D.C. and all the monuments. We visited Palmyra, The Sacred Grove, Joseph Smith’s home and we watched the Hill Cumorah Pageant. We also witnessed a baptism in the Sasquehanna River, which is the same river that Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery baptized each other after receiving the Aaronic Prisesthood from Angel John the Baptist. Check out my scrapbook for all the places we went. One of my favorite was Hershey, Pa. We could smell the chocolate miles outside the city. Blame that visit for my love of Hershey chocolate.
I’m thankful for my Grandfather Butt. He was so humble and loving – though he was quiet in showing it. He showed it by the time he gave me. He worked hard as a train conductor at Kennecott but got home by about 3 or 4 in the afternoon. So when I was there, especially on Saturdays, he would entertain me. (Grandma just wanted me to entertain myself. I did that a lot with building blocks that Grandpa made. They were about three inches long and ¾ inch square. I could build incredible castles and towers. I built the tower of Babel many times. When I was a little older, I would take one of their tennis balls and bounce it off the seven stairs in front of their porch and try to catch it. If it hit an edge, it would take a crazy bounce. I envisioned myself as a pitcher and tried to hit the third stair right in the middle. I got pretty good. I also would bounce it off the garage in back. I played a lot of basketball back there, too. That’s where Clifford, Vivian and David got their start in basketball – the hoop on the double garage.
Grandpa Butt loved playing cards and played a lot of solitaire. He taught me how to play – his way. He also taught me how to play canasta. We had to have four play that – I think it was Merrill, me, Grandpa and Grandma. I think Clifford played some times, too. Grandma liked playing canasta, too.
Grandpa did something special for me – that I will always be grateful for. He worked with me many times on my math. He taught me tricks in addition that I still use. It’s because of what he taught me that I ended up winning the prize for being the best in math in my class in fourth grade at Monroe Elementary. The girl that I was battling during the last month of school was Lena Newbold. We had to do all the sets at the back of the book without any errors. I was the first to do it. And it was because of what Grandpa Butt taught me – addition, subtraction, division, multiplication. Unfortunately, no one in the family was much good at spelling.
I am eternally grateful for an older brother that always set a good example – in church, in sports, in school -- everything. He was also my protector. It was OK for him to beat me up – when I teased him or Troyleen, but no one else could. Because of him, I worked extra hard to become like him. It wasn’t until I got into writing in high school at the end of my sophomore year and then on the newspaper my junior year that I found my niche. I was good at basketball, but I was too small and not good enough. If we had lived in Sevier, for example, I would have been a starter, I believe. But I didn’t – so I was a star on the church basketball team. Bruce Sharp and I made a good duo – inside and out.
Merrill always did his homework and did well in school. It didn’t seem too hard for him. So I did my homework, too. It was a habit that served us well. Merrill always did his church assignments. I did, too, for the most part. Merrill wanted to go on a mission, but marriage was his calling.
I’m forever grateful that I served a mission – even if it was for only about 16 months. Serving the Lord in a faraway land in a different language and far away from family and girlfriend was a huge challenge. I wanted to come home so many times. But at the same time I had so many good experiences and learned so much. I wish I had been even a better missionary. The highlights were the PR work in San Jose, Costa Rica, especially the Fairdia de Flores (Fair of Flowers) in which we set up a booth and had food donated to sell and raise funds for the charity linked to the Fair. We played Tabernacle Choir music, had a big poster of the choir, handed out a lot of literature and made a lot of good impressions. Then I helped put together the play “Todo All Favor” (“All in Favor”) with Costa Rican members playing all the parts. I had been in the play when I was a junior or senior in high school for church. In the middle of rehearsals there in San Jose, I was shipped home with bone cancer.
I’m grateful for that night in my hospital bed when I prayed and prayed to my heavenly father, not for a cure, but for a chance to go on – to get married and have children. Finally, I had a strong feeling that everything would work out – that the Lord heard my prayer and that I would have that chance. After that, the doctors and nurses were shocked and worried about my positive attitude. I would jokingly say to save the leg – Thanksgiving was just around the corner!
I’m grateful to my wife, Nancy, who has stuck with me for more than 30 years despite all my problems. She has worked so hard – and especially now when I can’t do very many things for myself. I feel so bad for the times when I get angry with Nancy because of her failings, and forget, myself, about all that she does for me. She has tried so hard – and yet I know she would like things to be different. We’ve had some great adventures and vacations. Time has flown by so fast. I remember the fun we had dating, going to dances, Utah Stars games, Utah hockey games in the Salt Palace. Our platonic relationship for almost two years. But it was worth it! Love you!
Caption: Left, Nancy running the sound for Hunt Mysteries atThe Riverboat in Murray in 1994; Nancy and me at Embassy Suites in Jan. of 2007.
I’m grateful for Nancy’s family, who accepted me into their family as if I was one of them – despite my problems. They became my family. It seemed we spent all our free time, eating, dining, camping, talking with Nancy’s family. We were always finding an excuse to get together – and many of those excuses where BYU football games and some basketball games. After we were married all within months of each other, Bruce, Jim, JoAnn and spouses spent a lot of time together. After Jay got in the Air Force, we didn’t get to see him much – until really after he and Michelle got married and started that huge family of boys!
The best memories where the trips we took to Bruce & Chris’ cabin. It was such a blessing for us to bound with them. After so much bounding over the years, everyone started to move away. First JoAnn, then Bruce, then Jim and then Mom. It was really hard on Nancy – and it was hard on me. Bruce and Chris had become my closest friends and advisers. I think that’s why they moved – to get away from all our troubles.
I’m grateful for a job at Deseret Morning News that has carried me for more than 33 years -- the security and benefits it has provided.
I’m grateful that I have lived during a time after the Great Depression and when the economy has been good – which means I’ve kept my job.
I’m so grateful for my children. The memories of when they were babies and how much I enjoyed playing with them. I remember a toy box that I built for the girls with a lid. It had two steps on each of the two sides and all of it carpeted. We wanted them to learn to do stairs because we had none in our house but stairs in all the homes we visited. I get depressed when I realize how much I missed because I was working so many hours while they were growing up. I know I failed them in so many ways – looking back at it. But they bring so much happiness into my life. I love it – like at this time when we’re all together and that we love to be together and there isn’t anyone that feels left out.
There have been times when I have been frustrated with some of their choices, but I’m grateful for what they have accomplished and what they are striving to do. Things could be a lot worse – and I’m grateful they aren’t! I love them all! I’m grateful for Leif and Ty – two great sons in law. It’s so hard to let go of your children – but at least the girls have two great guys to catch them! Thanks, guys!
I’m so grateful for our grandchildren. I just love sitting and watching them explore and learn and have fun. I see so much of my children in them. Yesterday, Evie saw a picture of Nancy and me with all our children. Mom was holding Nathan when he was about three years old. Evie said, "There’s my cousin, Jakob." I still have a beautiful picture of Nathan under my glass at my desk at work when he was two years old. Amazing how much the two of them look alike. Where did my baby, Nathan, go!? And, what’s this with the beard?
If there is anything I can leave for my children and my grandchildren are that I’ve worked hard, too hard, for many years, to provide for Mom and the kids. I don’t know how to do anything else. ( I learned that from my Dad!), but that I love them, I love my Father in Heaven, I’m not sure how he will judge me, but I know he’ll understand me, more than I understand myself – and what I’ve gone through. More than anything, I want my children and grandchildren to know that the most important thing in life is striving to be the best you can be – more like what Heavenly Father wants you to be, and that family is the most important thing in life – despite all our challenges.
I’m sure I’ll think of many other things now that I’m closing, but that’s life. We always have some regrets! Love, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment