June 20, 2009

My Big Brother (funeral, 2008)

Left: Merrill and Rendall. Rendall followed Merrill into home construction.
Below: Merrill, Rendall and Dad (Warren Hunt) at Rendall's birthday June 28, 2006.


Merrill was my really my best friend! I know there are many here today who feel the same way about my brother?
Losing him is really a shock – but he has suffered so much the past five years.
So I feel I need celebrate more the life of my brother – for a job well done. I know he had a dream of going on a mission as a young man, but he and Vicki had been sweethearts since junior high and they decided to get married when he was 18 years old. He didn’t go on a mission – but I believe you’ll all agree – he accomplished his mission!

1. Merrill was born 19 months before I was, Aug. 1, 1949, when my parents were living in Lark – up by Copperton – up by the Copper mine – that big hole up in the mountains. (I was born Feb. 27, 1950.)

2. When we were young, Merrill was always doing fun things – and I was always tagging along – and that includes tagging along with him and Vicki when they went on dates to the Valley Vu drive-in. It was sort of a ritual! When we arrived, they always give me the best view – probably because I was so short. It was so nice of them, really. They always let me sit in the front seat of the car – while they graciously took the backseat. I remember many times Merrill arguing with Mom to let me go to the drive-in with them. (not!)

3. I always looked up to Merrill – and not just because I’m short. He always set a good example for me. I don’t ever recall Merrill not doing what he was supposed to do. He went to school, did his homework and did his priesthood duties. It just seemed so normal that I just followed along.

4. Merrill was always good at sports – so I tried to follow his example. I remember our one on one basketball games in the driveway, which wasn’t much of a contest. I figured if I could score a few times, then I had won.
5. Some times we played two on one – usually Bruce Sharp and me against Merrill.
6. When Merrill starred at Granger High in football and basketball, I got to be a manager. It was a blast watching him play. One game that I remember best was a football game at old Bingham High school up at Copperton. It was freezing cold and had snowed – but they played the game any way. Merrill caught a long-bomb touchdown pass right down the middle of the field. It was great.
7. Dad says he remembers going to Merrill’s games when Merrill had a cast on his arm after breaking it down at Uncle Lloyd’s – I think it was while he was loading hay. Dad took Rendall in his arms and watched from the sidelines and would run up and down the field, watching in the pileups to make sure Merrill didn’t hurt his arm again.
8. After Merrill married, he still was around to help his sisters Troyleen and Trena, and his little brother, Rendall.
9. Rendall says he remembers vividly going hunting for the first time with Merrill when he was about 8 years old. It was down in the Fishlake area with Uncle Coy and some of the family. Rendall remembers that there was a snowstorm while they were there. That’s when Merrill taught him an important hunting lesson when climbing steep mountains – climb 20 or 30 feet and then stop and look! That was his rule – hike a ways and “stop and look.” Rendall says he’s taught the same principal to his boys. It’s funny, though, the principal doesn’t apply when going downhill!
10. Rendall started working full-time for Merrill in construction when he was 16 years old. He said Merrill taught him many of the things that lead him to his current position in construction. There are a few others here who probably would say the same thing.
11. One of the family mottos. We’re not sure how many generations it goes back. Merrill and I learned it from our Dad – Warren, then Merrill’s kids and my kids learned it from us – and who knows how far down it will go. Is it OK if I say it here? When on the job, Merrill would tell his workers to: Get your butt behind you!
12. Rendall says Merrill became his father figure after our parents divorced. Merrill was the one that tried to kick him and keep him going.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world he he. What a great tribute to your brother!

    ReplyDelete