February 10, 2012

Muzings about Helping Others

At what point, when someone needs our help, can we say we've done enough -- take care of yourself and your own problems.



I'm not even talking about forgiving the recipient of our help. That's really a whole different matter.
I'm talking about ourselves and our relationship with our Eternal Father.
Isn't there something in that Big Black Book that says "70 times 7."
Sure, we all have problems and ...we need to take care of ourselves the best we can.
But some people require more help than others. Sometimes I think they're here to see if we're willing to reach out and help. That's the test of a real Christian.
I've been the recipient of many helping hands throughout my life. My older brother was always helping me. But I know also that there is nothing worse than requiring others to help you because you can't carry that box or pick up a dropped item or whatever.
So when someone needs help because they really aren't up to doing it all by themselves, can we say: "I've done all I can do -- I've done enough, let them take care of themselves or find someone else who'll do it!
But when family members gang up together and say "we've done all we're going to do for you -- you don't deserve anymore help -- you don't deserve us in your life," then I'm more worried about them than the one who needs help!
Don't call your approach "tough love!" That only applies when the recipient really can do it for themselves.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really powerful post! I think you're right on. I like how you said "Sometimes I think they're here to see if we're willing to reach out and help." Often, it's not easy to help those in need. For some reason it's especially hard to help family members after a while. But I love that you remind us that it's a true sign of being a Christian if we step up and do what needs to be done. Leif's parents are really good examples of this. You and mom are good examples of this (believe it or not;) I'm not sure the full story behind this post, but I have an idea. I'll call you tomorrow. Or maybe right now... Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to clarify: Not taking about my wife here -- nor her family.

    ReplyDelete