January 21, 2015

Good man and a friend beats me to the other side!

The picture is of the float that I helped John and Paula
build in their driveway in West Jordan. Paula carved
the dog from foam! Good times! JD Rogers, Tim Loomis,
me and Jason in photo.
The world lost a very good man on Jan. 18, 2015. I came to know him during my family’s 20-plus years in West Jordan.
Everyone who knew John Graves, knew that being with him was always special – and usually fun – and if at all possible it involved sp
orts, whether it be basketball, volleyball or softball. 
My first recollections of John and his super wife, Paula, was when Nancy and I and the kids had just moved into our house about a block east of the Graves Place.
Nancy and I wanted to lay sod on our huge side yard and back yard, and they helped gather a bunch of the neighbors who worked all day to lay the sod. He was a dynamo.
Later, I loved being John’s ward basketball coach. He was always patient with me despite my short-comings!
Then in 1989, he and Paula really came to my rescue when I was asked to spearhead building a float for the stake for the 24th of July Parade. I still have a couple of pictures of us working together on the thing – plus one of the two awards we received! Paula has the other. John seemed to know how to everything – or knew someone who had the tools and knowhow to do the things he couldn’t do!
As a fellow ward member and as a friend, he was always willing to help! 
His biggest challenge – as far as our family is concerned – was probably getting our three boys in line! The thing is, he was always their friend and never gave up on them!
I really regret getting too busy with that second job and missing out on the good times with John and his family! Especially I miss hearing the stories he had about his missionary work in the Inner City and in West Valley.
Despite his battle with Crohn’s Disease, John enjoyed life and didn’t pity himself. He made me feel that despite the challenges that life had thrown my way, I didn’t need to sit around and whine and complain. He was a true disciple and an example of keeping our focus on God, family and all our brothers and sisters.
One of the things John and I share was a firm belief in the hereafter – in the Resurrection – and I know that not too far down the road I’ll be meeting up with him and he’ll give me his famous friendly grin and a bear hug! But, of course, then it won’t hurt my ribs!
Thanks John for being a friend to me and to so many of Heavenly Father’s children!

No comments:

Post a Comment